I finished my latest painting......I used a photograph of mine for the original design to create this poppy for a class I am going to teach. I used texture, acrylics and seed beads, creating as I went.
First using a palette knife I "buttered" Golden Molding paste onto the canvas.....I say "buttered" because I applied the paste the same way as if I was buttering a piece of bread. You can see the texture this creates on the background. I used a charcoal grey mixed in with the paste to get the colour I wanted. Then I slip slapped a metallic grey pearl over the charcoal grey using a large one inch dry brush....this adds a softness to the grey background.
Next, using the palette knife again, I laid the paste in a very thin line outlining each petal. This takes some time to accomplish because I used the side of the knife to push the paste into place.....patience is needed to get a thin paste line. Using a damp to wet filbert brush, I pulled out excess paste towards the centre of the flower so that it receded down into the poppy. After this was all dry, I was then able to apply my colour.
I base coated the entire poppy with an red orange....this took about three coats since red is not the most opaque colour. Next I dry brushed in a orange red....an orange with a just a tiny tinge of red.....pulling the strokes from the outer edges in towards the centre. Mixing a red with drop of charcoal grey/burgundy, I shaded where I wanted to show the receeding petals. The centre is the charcoal grey/burgundy combined with shades and highlights of a couple of greens....the same greens used for the stem and leaves.
To complete the poppy and add an additional dimension, I glued a few black seed beads onto the ends of the stamens.
I'm happy with the results.